Navy Yard YFB-8
(YFB-8: 1. 80'; b. 17')
Navy Yard (YFB-8) was built as Steam Cutter No. 291 by Norfolk Navy Yard in 1901 and placed in service the same year. Serving as a ferry between Norfolk and various naval installations in and arolmd Hampton Roads, Virginia, the ferry was named Navy Yard in 1908 and continued her operations there until December 1922 when she was ordered to the Naval Proving Ground, Dahlgren, Virginia.
Towed to that installation by tug Mohawk (YT-17), 12 March 1923, she plied the waters between Indianhead Naval Station and Dahlgren until March 1926, when she was placed in ordinary. She remained at Dahlgren, in ordinary, until she was towed to Norfolk by minesweeper Owl (AM-2), 20 April 1929. Navy Yard was struck from the Navy Register 12 July and sold shortly thereafter to a local scrap company.