(SP~70: 1. 38'; b. 11'; dr. 2'; s. 8 mph.; a. 1 1-pdr.)
The first Northampton (SP-670), a wooden motor boat built by Wilson of Birdsnest, Va., was acquired by the Navy on free lease from John A. Parsons, Norfolk, Va., 5 May 1917. Assigned to the 5th Naval District, Northampton operated on section patrol until returned to her owner 19 December 1918.