Narragansett II SP-2196
(SP-2196: t. 19,503; 1. 320'2"; b. 48'1"; dr. 16' (mean), s. 23 k.; cpl. 165)
The second Narragansett (SP-2196), launched by Harlan and Hollingsworth and Co., Wilmington, Del., in 1913, was acquired through purchase from the Central Vermont Transportation Co., 11 January 1918, and commissioned at New London, 28 January 1918, Lt. Comdr. William R. Allen USNRF, in command.
On 14 February 1918, Narragansett departed New London and steamed to Wilmington, Del., for overhaul and alterations necessary for troop transport service. Irl May, she shifted to Philadelphia, whence she sailed, in June, to New York. On 10 July, she departed New York, in convoy, arriving at St. Nazaire and reporting for duty in the Cross Channel Fleet on the 21st. From that time until the Armistice Narragansett served as a unit of that fleet, which was charged with the highly important mission of keeping men and material, especially coal, flowing from the British Isles to the Continent. During August and September, Narragansett crossed from Southampton to Le Havre twice a week. In October, she cut back to once a week, but, throughout, she carried an average of over 1,400 troops per voyage.
After the Armistice, the transport reversed her mission and commenced carrying troops from France to England. With the new year, 1919, she extended her operational area to include the North and Baltic Seas ports of Rotterdam Hamburg, and Copenhagen. On 31 January, however, Narragansett, en route to Southampton, went aground on the Isle of Wight and repairs required two months. She departed Plymouth for New York 30 May and arrived in New York 15 June. Decommissioned 12 September at Hoboken, N.J., she was sold 13 August 1920.