Laura Reed SP-2009
(SP-2009: t. 22; 1. 52'; b. 16'2"; dr. 7'6"; s. 5 k.; cgl.
11; a. none)
Laura Reed, an auxilary schooner, was built in 1895 in Noak, Conn.; chartered by the Navy 27 November 1917 from her owner, Henry L. Galpin, New Haven, Conn.; enrolled in the Naval Coast Defense Reserve 30 November 1917; taken over 3 December; and commissioned 6 December 1917 at New Haven, Boatswain's Mate Sydney B. Dexter, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the 3d Naval District, New York, Laura Reed operated out of New Haven as a patrol boat and a training boat for Yale University Naval Unit. After the Armistice she was returned to her owner 7 January 1919.