Katherine SP-715

 

Katherine

A former name retained.

(SP-715: t. 6; 1. 35'; b. 9'; dr. 2'; s. 7 k.; a. none)

Katherine, a motor boat, was built in 1907 by J. T. Sharpley of Greenbackville, Va., and owned by the Virginia Fish and Oyster Commission. Chartered on free lease to the Government, she commissioned 26 April 1917 and was taken over by the Navy at Norfolk 18 May, Chief Master at Arms C. C. Jones in command.

Assigned to the 5th Naval District at Norfolk, Katherine operated out of Greenbackville, Va., as a shore and section patrol boat patrolling southern Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic coastal waters in and around Chincoteague Bay. She decommissioned 22 October 1918 and was returned to her former owner the same day.