A river in Kansas.
(AO-95: dp. 22,380; 1. 523'6"; b. 68', dr. 30'10"; s.
15 k.; cpl. 225; a. 1 5", 4 3"; cl. Escamba)
Caney (AO-95) was launched 8 October 1944 by Marinship Corp., Sausalito, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Mrs. J. L. Simpson acquired by the Navy 25 March 1945, commissioned the same day, Commander R. S. Hanson, USNR, in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Caney sailed from San Pedro, Calif., 12 May 1945 for Ulithi, the base from which she operated while fueling ships serving on radar picket and patrol duties at Okinawa. From 3 July through the end of the war, she steamed with the logistic group supporting TF 38 in its bombardments and air strikes pounding. the Japanese home islands The oiler remained off Okinawa serving ships engaged in occupation duty until 16 November when she got underway for San Francisco, and Galveston, Tex. Caney was decommissioned 27 February 1946 at Beaumont, Tex., and delivered to the War Shipping Administration the same day. Reacquired by the Navy in February 1948, she was transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service 18 July 1950, where she served in a noncommissioned status with a civilian crew.
Caney received two battle stars for World War II service.