USS Oregon City CA-122
(CA-122: dp. 17,070; 1. 673'5"; b. 70'10"; dr. 26'4", s. 32.6 k.; cpl. 1,142; a. 9 8", 12 5", 48 40mm, 20 20mm; cl. Oregon City)
Oregon City was laid down 8 April 1944 by Bethlehem Steel Co., Quincy, Mass., Iaunched 9 June 1945, sponsored by Mrs. Raymond P. Caufield, wife of the City Commissioner of Oregon City; and commissioned 16 February 1946, Capt. Burnett K. Culver in command.
Oregon City departed Boston 31 March 1946 for shakedown out of Guantanamo Bay, then returned to Boston in mid-May.
Oregon City became flagship of the 4th Fleet 3 July and the following month began dockside training of reservists in Philadelphia. From 6 to 19 October she made a post-war Reserve Training Cruise, to Bermuda, then sailed to Boston and remained until the following March with a somewhatreduced complement. Reassigned to the 2nd Fleet in January 1947, Oregon City's crew had returned to full strength by the time she sailed for Guantanamo Bay 30 March. After three weeks of exercises she returned to Boston, not sailing again until 6 June. She embarked midshipmen at Annapolis on the 21st, then sailed for the Canal Zone and the Caribbean on an annual summer training cruise.
Oregon City debarked her.midshipmen at Norfolk in midAugust and sailed for Philadelphia and deactivation. She decommissioned 15 December 1947 and remains berthed in Philadelphia in 1970.