El Occidente AP
Former name retained.
(AP: 1. 430'2"; b. 53'1"; dr. 26'; s. 16 k.; cpl. 112; a.
El Occidente, a transport, was built in 1910 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, VA.; transferred to the Navy from the Shipping Board 27 August 1918; and commissioned 27 August 1918, Lieutenant Commander E. S. Campbell, USNRF, in command.
After conversion to an animal transport, El Occidente sailed to Norfolk to load cargo which included 585 horses and mules, sailing for France 17 September 1918. She offloaded her cargo at St. Nazaire and Verdon, and returned to Norfolk 1 November, to load for a second voyage, carrying 1,467 tons of cargo and 800 animals to Verdon between 17 November and 19 December.
Returning to Baltimore for repairs and alterations which included the removal of her armament and the stalls for animal cargo, El Occidente sailed again 15 January 1919 for Bordeaux where she unloaded cargo for the Army of Occupation and embarked 90 passengers for return to the United States. She was decommissioned at New York 18 March 1919, and delivered to the Shipping Board the same day.