USS Resolute I
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links


Other Sites
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
Multieducator Products

Resolute I ScTug

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Resolute I

(ScTug: t. 90; l. 88'2" (reg.); b. 17'; dph. 7'5", cpl. 17; a.
1 24-pdr. how., 1 12-pdr. how.)

The first Resolute, a wooden, screw tug built in 1860 at Keyport, N.J., was purchased by the Navy 7 May 1861 from A. Degroot of New York; and commissioned 12 Nlay 1861

Acting Master William Budd in command.

Assigned to the Union Navy's Potomac Flotilla, Resolute went into action 29 May 1861 in company with Thomas Freeborn, Anacostia, and Navy landing parties against Confederate shore batteries at Aquia Creek, Va. While returning from a voyage up the Potomae to make topographical observations with Capt. W. R. Palmer, USA, on board, Resolute captured and burned the schooner Somerset 8 June 1861 in Breton Bay While patrolling upriver 7 July, she encountered and successfully swept two Confederate moored mines among the first of their kind used in the Civil War. The enterprising tug captured the coaster Ocean Wave 18 July 1861 after a long chase off the mouth of the Great Wieomieo River but lost three killed and one wounded 15 August when her hoat unsuccessfully attempted to capture a Confederate boat at Lower Cedar Point, Va.

Resolute destroyed four boats 31 August 1861 inshore at Ferry Landing, Va.; captured the schooner Jones 11 August 1862 and the sloop Capitola 8 November 1862; and during mid-July 1863, operated close inshore in company with Jacob Bell and Racer under fire of Confederate shore hatteries at Mathias Point to protect unloading operations from the grounded Army transport George Peabody. Resolute patrolled St. Inigoes Creek, St. Mary's River, St. George's Creek, and the mouth of the Rappahannock, into 1864. From August to October 1864, she acted as tender to the coast defense monitor Roanoke anchored off Point Lookout. Subsequently under major overhaul 12 October 1864 to 11 January 1865 at Washington Navy Yard, Resolute returned to the Potomac Flotilla to resume cruising duty. Steaming largely off Cockpit Point Liverpool Point, and between Sandy Point and Indian Head, Resolute returned to Washington Navy Yard at war's end and was decommissioned 26 May 1865

Resolute was sold 24 June 1865 at Washington, D.C., to T. J. Southard. Redocumented 8 July 1865, she remained in merchant service until abandoned in 1899.