Osceola II AT-47
(AT-47: dp. 571; 1. 138'; b. 26'; dr. 14'6"; s. 14 k.; a. 2 3-pdrs., 1 mg.)
The second Osecola, a tug built by Charles Hillman, Philadelphia, Pa., was laid down in 1895, built in 1897, purchased by the Navy as Winthrop from Staples Coal Co. 21 March 1898 and commissioned 4 April 1898 as the United States made final preparations for the approaching war with Spain.
Osceola saw immediate action after commissioning as the United States became involved in war. Osceola joined the force at Key West in May, in preparation for duty on the Cuban blockade.
In the attack on Cabaila, Osceola prepared for towing disabled ships, up to a dozen at a time. In July, she joined Scorpion in reemmaissaIlee of Manzanillo. On the 18th the ships joined in the major attack on Manzanillo, an attack eauslng severe losses to the Spaniards. In August, Osceola joined the strong force that captured the port; Spanish resistanee had been eliminated in recognition of the armistice.
After the war and decommissioning, Osceola laid up until re-eommissioning 1 July 1911. She saw duty in 1918 as the need for all naval vessels became apparent. She steamed to Guantanamo Bay in 1918 and remained there as station ship; through 1920.
In 1921, a special Navy squadron was organized to patrol Caribbean waters to promote friendly relations between the United States and Latin Ameriea. In 1922, Osceola steamed to Port au Prinee, and returned to the United States in the fall.
Osceola decommissioned and was struck from the Navy Register 15 November 1922. She was sold to F. E. Pope, Washington, D. C., 24 March 1923.