A northern constellation.
(AF-23: dp. 7,171 (f.), 1. 336'3"; b. 48'; dr. 23'8"
s. 12 k.; cpl. 112; a. 1 4", 1 3")
Cygnus (AF-23) was built as La Perla in 1926 by Cammell Laird, Liverpool, England, acquired by the Navy 12 August 1942, and commissioned 11 August 1942, Lieutenant Commander W. W. Williamson USNR, in command
After sailing in convoy to Pearl Harbor and back between 4 and 24 September 1942, Cygnus cleared San Francisco 10 October and arrived in Auckland, New Zealand, 3 November. Until 6 January 1944 she operated on a regular run carrying chilled meats and vegetables from Auckland to the American bases at Tongatabu, Tonga Islands, Pago Pago, American Samoa; Bora Bora, Society Islands; Cook Island; and Funafuti, Ellice Islands. Between 18 January 1944 and 9 September 1945 she sailed on similar duty from Auckland and Napier, New Zealand, to Espiritu Santo and Efate, New Hebrides, the Solomon Islands; and Noumea, New Caledonia.
After a west coast overhaul, Cygnus sailed via Pearl Harbor to discharge cargo at Okinawa in December 1945. Arriving at Manus, Admiralty Islands, 3 January 1946, she operated out of this port on cargo duty to Noumea, Espiritu Santo, and American Samoa until 13 March when she returned to the west coast and then sailed for New York, arriving 2 July. Cygnus Was decommissioned 18 July 1946 and transferred to the War Shipping Administration for disposal the same day.