Counties in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee.
(AK-171: dp. 2,474; 1. 338'6"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 12 k.;
cpl. 79; a. 1 3"; cl. Alamosa)
Claiborne (AK-171) was launched 3 September 1944 by Froemming Brothers, Inc., Milwaukee, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract, sponsored by Miss L. Kapczynski; and commissioned 19 April 1945 at New Orleans, Lieutenant R. B. Johnston in command.
Claiborne departed Gulfport, Miss., 20 May 1945 and arrived at Hollandia, New Guinea, 6 July. For the next 6 months she operated in the Philippines and New Guinea areas, carrying food, and supplies, and helping to redeploy troops among the various islands. The cargo ship sailed from Manila 6 January 1946, for Yokosuka Japan, anchoring there 13 January. Claiborne was decommissioned and transferred to the War Shipping Administration at Tokyo 7 February 1946.