Adhara- AK-71

 

Choctaw III

(AK: dp. 3,800; 1. 261'; b. 43'6"; dr. 17'9"; s. 9 k.;
cpl. 63; a 1 4", 1 3")

The third Choctaw (No. 1648) was launched in 1917 for the Shipping Board by American Shipbuilding Co. Chicago, III: transferred to the Navy 19 February 1918 under bare-boat charter; and commissioned 4 March 1918 at Hoboken, N.J., Lieutenant Commander E. F. Mitchell, USNRF, in command.

Choctaw was assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service and between 16 March and 22 December 1918 made four transatlantic voyages, carrying mine cargo and general supplies to the Azores, Scotland and France. On her last voyage she-aided the distressed Danish SS Aspard 19 December 1918 and towed her to Norfolk, arriving 22 December.

Decommissioned at Norfolk 16 January 1919, Choctaw was returned to the Shipping Board and delivered to her owners at New York the following day.