(AK: dp. 7,523; 1. 338', b. 46'2;', dr. 22'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 70;
The second Chatham (No. 2510) was launched in 1916 by Maryland Steel Co., Sparrows Point, Md., as Margaret; acquired 13 March 1918 on charter, commissioned 26 March 1918 as M Margaret;, Lieutenant Commander T. J. Sammons, USNRF, in command, reported to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, and was renamed Chatham 18 April 1918.
Between 1 April and 23 December 1918, Chatham made five voyages from east coast ports to France, carrying general cargo and supplies for the American Expeditionary Force, and on her last, for the Army of Occupation. She was decommissioned at New York 10 February 1919 and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.
Chatham (CVE-32) was transferred to the United Kingdom 11 August 1943 under lend-lease, and renamed Slinger. Returned to United States custody, she was sold 7 November 1946.