Former name retained.
(AK: dp. 13,910; 1. 435'; b. 54'; dr. 26'; s. 11 k.; cpl.
70; a. 1 6", 1 3")
Canibas (No. 3401), a cargo vessel, was built in 1918 by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine; transferred from the Shipping Board 10 September 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander P. L. Farmer, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, which was charged with equipping and supplying American forces in France, Canibas carried varied cargoes in three voyages from New York to French and Dutch ports between 26 September 1918 and 28 May 1919. Her cargoes included hay and oats for the horses of the Army, as well as food for the troops. Canibas was decommissioned at New York 4 June 1919 and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.