USS AAndromeda-AKA-15
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links


Other Sites
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
Multieducator Products

Andromeda AKA-15


(AKA-15: dp. 13,910 (tl.); 1. 459'3"; b. 63'0"; dr. 26'4"; s. 16.5 k. (tl.); cpl. 404; a. 15", 4 3"; el. Andromeda; T. C2-S-Bl)

Andromeda (AK-66) was laid down on 22 September 1942 at Kearny, N. J., by the Federal Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 199); launched on 22 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Janet Roper; reclassified an attack cargo ship and redesignated AKA-15 on I February 1943; delivered to the Navy on 30 March 1943; and commissioned at the New York Navy Yard on 2 April 1943, Comdr. William A. Fly in command.

The attack cargo ship made her maiden voyage late in April from New York to Norfolk, Va., and then conducted shakedown training in Chesapeake Bay. On 8 June, she put to sea with a convoy bound for the Mediterranean Sea. Andromeda arrived in Mers el Kebir, Algeria, on the 22d and began training for the invasion of Sicily. On 5 July, the attack cargo ship left Oran, Algeria, with Task Force (TF) 85 and set a course for the southern coast of Sicily. She and her colleagues in Cent Force arrived in the transport area off Scoglitti during the right of the 9th and 10th. Allied troops stormed ashore in the darkness of the early the 10th, and Andromeda spent the next two her cargo. Late in the evening of the 12th, she in company with Ancon (AGC-4), 10 other escort of nine destroyers.

Returning to Oran, Andromeda spent the next few weeks at several locations on the North African coast preparing for another amphibious assault. On 5 September, the attack cargo ship stood out of Mers el Kebir with Task Group (TG) 81.2, the transport group of the Southern Attack Force for the invasion of the Italian mainland just to the southeast of Naples on the shores of the Gulf of Salerno. She arrived at her destination late in the evening of the 8th. Early the next morning, troops of the Army's 36th Division stormed ashore at Salerno. Andromeda remained in the transport area in the gulf until the 10th discharging troops and equipment to fuel the offensive. She departed the area dur- the last watch of the 10th with a convoy bound for Oran, A lgeria. The attack cargo ship anchored in Oran on the morning of the 14th. On the 19th, she headed back to Salerno carrying supplies and reinforcements. Andromeda unloaded at Salerno on the 22d and the 23d and then embarked upon the return voyage to Algeria.

She arrived at Mers el Kebir on 26 September. The attack cargo ship spent almost six weeks practising amphibious landings with American and Free French troops on the Algerian coast at Mers el Kebir, Oran, and Arzew. Between 5 and 7 November, she made the passage to Bizerte, Tunisia, where she loaded cargo and embarked troops until the 19th. Departing Bizerte, Andromeda made a six-day stop at Mers el Kebir between 23 and 29 November and an overnig ght pause at Oran on the 29th and 30th before joining a convoy bound for the British Isles. The ship visited Belfast in northern Ireland and several ports in Scotland and then headed across the Atlantic on 18 ember.

Andromeda arrived in Norfolk, Va., on 2 January 1944 and began a yard overhaul on the 3d. On 13 and 14 February, the attack cargo ship made the passage to New York. She loaded cargo at New York and then, on 27 February, put to sea with a convoy bound for Europe. She reached Newport in Wales on 9 March and unloaded cargo on the 10th, 11th, and 12th. After visiting several Scottish ports, Andromeda stood out of the River Clyde on 29 March and shaped course for North Africa. The ship reached Mers el Kebir again on 6 April and spent the next two months conducting amphibious training on the Algerian coast between Mers el Kebir and Arzew.

On 16 June, the attack cargo ship left the North African coast for the Italian boot. She entered Naples on the 19th and remained there until the 23d. Steaming by way of Palermo, Sicily, Andromeda made Algiers on 7 July. She loaded cargo and got underway again for Naples on the 8th. Arriving at her destination on 10 July, she divided her time between Naples and the Gulf of Pozzouli for the rest of the month. Andromeda spent the first part of August in the Bay of Castellamare waiting for the beginning of Operation "Dragoon," the invasion of southern France. The attack cargo ship left the Bay of Castellamare on 12 August and arrived off the invasion beaches on the 15th. She unloaded her cargo and headed back to Oran on the 16th. For over two months, the ship went back and forth across the Mediterranean Sea carrying supplies and reinforcements from North Africa to the armies operating ashore in southern France.

On 25 October 1944, however, she set out from Mers el Kebir morning hours of days disgorging he departed the area auxiliaries, and an to return to the United States. Andromeda arrived in Boston, Mass., on 8 November and commenced a month of repairs on the 9th. After loading cargo at Davisville, R. I., the attack cargo ship put to sea for the journey to the Pacific. Steaming by way of Norfolk, she arrived in the Canal Zone at the end of December, transited the canal on the 31st and resumed her voyage west on New Year's Day 1945. She entered Pearl Harbor on 15 January and began the ubiquitous cargo loadin operation. On 24 January the ship got underway for the southwestern Pacific. She unloaded cargo at Noumea, New Caledonia, between 3 and 7 February and then returned to sea bound for the Solomon Islands.

On 10 February, Andromeda arrived at Guadalcanal. She spent the ensuing five weeks in the Solomon Islands carryin out amphibious exercises in preparation for the assault on Okinawa. The attack cargo ship left the Solomons on 15 March bound ultimately for the campaign about to unfold in the Ryukyu Islands. She entered Ulithi Atoll in the Caroline Islands on the 21st and bided her time until the 27th when her portion of the invasion force sortied from the lagoon. Andromeda arrived in the transport area off Okinawa on L-day, 1 April. The soldiers and marines carried out their landing that morning, and support ship like

ips li ke Andromeda began to disgorge supplies and equipment. The attack cargo ship stayed in the vicinity for nine days. During that time, the Japanese launched massive air attacks in an attempt to thwart the offensive. Andromeda went to general quarters time after time to help beat off the aerial onslaught and, on at least one occasion, helped to splash one of the intruders.

The attack cargo ship cleared the Ryukyu Islands on 9 April and laid in a course for Hawaii. She pulled into Pearl Harbor on the 24th and loaded cargo until near the middle of May. On 12
May Andromeda put to sea on her way back to Okinawa. Steaming by way of Eniwetok in the Marshalls and Ulithi in the Carolines, the ship reached Okinawa on 7 June. She stayed there
for a week then headed back to Pearl Harbor on the 14th. Andromeda reentered Pearl Harbor on 29 June and then conducted training at Maui before setting a course for the Mariana
Islands. She reached Saipan on 28 July and passed a fortnight in the Marianas. Andromeda returned to sea on 11 August, and hostilities ended four days later when she was half the way to
the Solomons. She spent the period 18 to 23 August in the Solomons and returned to the Marianas at Guam on the 30th.

During the two months following Japan's surrender, Andromeda carried out two missions to the home islands and made a voyage to Manila in the Philippines. After embarking servicemen at Sasebo, Japan, the attack cargo ship got underway for the United States on 6 November. After a nonstop voyage, she returned to American soil at Seattle, Wash., on 22 November. The ship spent four weeks there before heading south to San Francisco, Calif., where she arrived on 22 December 1945.

Andromeda remained on active duty during the late 1940's and early 1950's. She made cargo runs between the west coast and American bases at such places as Pearl Harbor, Midway, Wake Island, Kwajalein, Guam, and Saipan. In Se ptember and October of 1949, the attack cargo ship made a round-trip voyage from the west coast to the east coast and back. She resumed operations from her base on the west coast upon her return. In August 1950, she voyaged north to the Pribiloff Islands and, in March of 1951, left the west coast for the Far East. Andromeda provided logistics support for United Nations forces fighting communist aggression in Korea until returning to San Diego at the end of the year. After 10 months of duty on the west coast, the. ship returned to the Orient and logistics support for the United Nations defense of South Korea. She took up duty along the west coast in the spring of 1953, but interrupted it for a round-trip voyage to Yokosuka, Japan, in August and early September. Andromeda deployed to the Far East for a final tour of duty in February of 1954. The attack cargo ship came back to the west coast from that assignment in November and operated in the eastern Pacific until deactivated.

Andromeda was placed out of commission at San Diego on 1 May 1956. She was transferred to the Maritime Administration for lay up with the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Wash. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 July 1960, and she was sold to the Marine Power & Equipment Co., of Seattle, Wash., on 12 March 1971.

Andromeda earned five battle stars during World War II and five battle stars for service in the Korean conflict.

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt