Tamaha YN-44

 

Tamaha
(YN-44: dp. 263; 1. 105'0"; b. 25'0"; dr. 9'0"; a. 4 .30
cal. mg.) Rowe Card-a tug built in 1936 at Slidell, La., by the Canulette Shipbuilding Co.—was acquired by the Navy on 26 October 1940 from the Card Towing Line,

Inc., of New York City; renamed Tamaha (YN 44); converted to a net tender at the New York Navy Yard; and placed in service there on 17 December 1940.

On 30 December, she departed New York harbor and steamed-via Norfolk, Va., Charleston, S.C., Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, the Panama Canal, and San Diego Calif.—to the Hawaiian Islands. After a long voyage interrupted by port visits, Tamaha reached Hawaii on 25 March 1941 and operated for the next five years as a net tender in the 14th Naval District, primarily at Midway Island. On 8 April 1942, she was redesignated YNT-12.

On 1 March 1946, she departed Pearl Harbor in ARD-8 and headed for San Diego, where she was placed out of service on 12 April 1946. On 1 May, Tamaha was determined to be surplus to the needs of the Navy, and her name was struck from the Navy list. On 16 January 1947, she was turned over to the Maritime Commission at San Diego, Calif., for disposal.