In French literature, Chanticleer is the personal name given the cock.
The first Chanticleer, a motor boat, served in the 2d Naval District during 1917 18.
The second Chanticleer (AMC-60) was placed in service 5 April 1941. Although she carried the designation, she was never converted to a minesweeper. On 1 May 1941 she was reclassified YF-381 and her name was cancelled.
(ASR-7: dp. 1,780; 1. 251'4"; dr. 14'3"; s. 16 k.; cpl.
102; a. 2 3"; cl. Chanticleer)
The third Chanticleer (ASR-7) was launched 29 May 1942 by Moore Shipbuilding and Drydock Co., Oakland, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. W. K. Kilpatrick, commissioned 20 November 1942, Lieutenant Commander R. E. Hawes in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Calling en route at Pearl Harbor, island bases, and Australian ports, Chanticleer arrived at Fremantle Australia, 8 May 1943. With her primary assignment the support of the submarines based at Fremantle Chanticleer provided tender services to the submarines as they came in to refit between war patrols, trained divers, cared for small craft, repaired anti torpedo nets and carried out salvage operations. In October 1944 Chanticleer moved north to provide similar services at Port Darwin, Australia, returning to Fremantle in January 1945.
Chanticleer arrived in Subic Bay, Luzon, 19 March 1945 to take part in the enormous task of clearing Philippine waters by salvaging United States and Japanese ships, and locating sunken vessels which hazarded navigation. A voyage to Fremantle for salvage operations in September was followed by a resumption of her Philippine duty until January 1946, when she cleared for the east coast of the United States.
Arriving at Key West, Fla., 18 February 1946 Chanticleer operated to Cuba, and along the east coast until June 1950, when she was transferred to the Pacific Fleet. Homeported at San Diego, she has alternated local operations and exercises with tours of duty in the Far East at intervals of about a year. In the Far East she has sailed with the guardian 7th Fleet, and has carried out numerous salvage and diving assignments. This duty continued through 1963.