Lodona ScStr


(ScStr: t. 750; 1. 210'; b. 27'6"; dr. 11'6"; s. 7 k.; cpl. 97; a. 1 100-pdr. P. r., 1 30-pd-. P. r., 1 9" D. r., 4 24 pdrs. )

Lodona, a bark-rigged iron screw steamer, was built at Kingston-upon-Hull, England. in 1862 and owned by Z. C. Pearson, London. Captured by UqIon gunboat Unadilla while attempting to run the blockade in Ossawbaw Sound, S.C.. 4 August 1862, the ship was taken to Philadelphia under Lt. C. H. Greene for adjudication; condemned, and purchased by the navy from the Philadelphia Prize Court 20 September 1862. Lodona commissioned at Philadelphia Navy Yard 5 January 1863. Acting Lt. Edmund R. Colhoun in command.

Assigned to Rear Adm. Samuel F. DuPont's South Atlantic Blockading Squadron, Lodona departed Philadelphia 7 January 1863 for Port Royal, S.C., touching at Hampton Roads and Fort Monroe, Va., where she took in tow monitor Weehawken, arriving Port Royal 5 February. The warship sailed 5 days later for Charleston, towing schooner El. W. Gardner, joining the blockade there the next day. On the 19th, she headed for Bull's Bay to take up blockading. Lodona remained on active blockade off the coast of South Carolina, at Bull's Bay or Charleston, returning intermittently to Port Royal for supply or repairs through September. On 20 April, the steamer captured English brigtinnie out of Nassau attempting to run the blockade in Bull's Bay and sent her to Philadelphia,from 12 to 16 June, the warship's batteries engaged the Confederate guns on Morris and Folly Islands in Charleston Harbor. Lodona next provided support in the attacks by ironclads on Morris Island and Fort Sumter 17 August; attacked Fort Wagner the next day, and, on the 20th, returned once again to Morris Island. She continued operations against the Charleston forts 8 and 9 September by sending boats in the attack on Fort Sumter, losing one boat and crew captured. The ship sailed north 10 September, arriving Philadelphia on the 16th.

Lodona remained at Philadelphia Navy Yard overhauling until 11 November and then stood out for Charleston. At sea on the 15th, she captured schooner Arctic and sent the prize to Washington. D.C. The warship arrived Charleston 17 November, then proceeded to blockade duty in Sapelo Sound, Ga. Arriving 20 November, she operated from there, capturing sloop Howe 10 July 1863, until sailing for Port Royal 20 April 1865 following news of Lee's surrender. The steamer put to sea 24 April for Philadelphia Navy Yard arriving 1 May. She decommissioned there 11 May and was sold at public auction 20 June.