Lewis K. Thurlow Str

 

Lewis K.Thurlow
(Str: t. 3,178; 1. 313'6"; b. 4G'1"; dph. 22'0")

Lewis K.Thurlow was built in November 1913 by Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va. She was acquired at Barry Docks, Wales, by the Navy from Crowell & Thurlow of Boston, Mass., and commissioned under the name of L.K. Thurlow 25 November 1918, Lt Comdr. E. Beranger in command.

Assigned to NOTS, L. K. Thurlow departed Barry Docks 8 December with a cargo of trucks and coal bound for France, arriving St. Nazaire 1 week later. The transport made another cruise to France in January 1919 before departing Bordeaux with 1,300 tons of airplane parts for the United States. Arriving Philadelphia 17 March L. K. Thurlow remained there until she decommissioned 27 March 1919 and was returned to her owner.