Laurel ScStr



The first Laurel, a screw steamer, was built in 1862 for the Army at St. Louis as Erebu,. She was transferred from the War Department to the Navy 30 August 1862 and renamed Laurel 19 October.

The tug operated on the Mississippi for the remainder of the Civil War supporting operations of both the Army and Navy which cut the Confederacy in two and deprived southern armies in the East of men, food, and equipment from the rich region west of the Mississippi.

After the war ended, she assisted in the demobilization of' the Mississippi Squadron before decommissioning at Mound City, Ill., 12 August 1865. She was sold at auction there 5 days later to Sol. A. Silver. Documented as Laurcl 2 January 1867, the tug remained in service until abandoned in 1903.