Niagara III Str
(Str: dp. 5,221; Ibp. 274'; b. 38'; dr. 19'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 57; a. 2 6-pdrs., 4 3-pdrs., 2 37mm., 1 Colt mg.)
The third Niagara, a steamer, was built bv John Roach and Sons, Chester, Pa., in 1877; acquired by the Navy from Ward Line Steamship Company 11 April 1898, fitted out as a distilling and supply ship of the Collier Service; and commissioned at New York 11 April 1898, Comdr. G. A. Bieknell in command.
Niagara departed New York 25 April 1898 for the Caribbean via Norfolk, Va., and Key West, Fla. During the Spanish American War she served the fleet off Cuba, Puerto Rico and Haiti. The ship returned to Hampton Roads 26 May an] sailed 4 days later, again bound for ports of Cuba and Puerto Rico. Niagara remained on station in the Caribbean Sea until 24 July when she departed Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for New York, arriving 3 September.
Niagara remained at New York until she decommissioned 14 October 1898. She was sold 19 July 1899.
Submarine tender Niagara was renamed Fulton (q. v.) 18 February 1913.