A town in Kansas.
(PF-28: dp. 1,264; 1. 303'11", b. 37'6", dr. 13'8", s. 20
k.; cpl. 214; a. 3 3"; cl. Tacoma)
Emopria (PF-28) was launched 30 August 1943 by Walter Butler Shipbuilding Co., Superior' Wis.; sponsored by Mrs. George M. Barnaby; placed in service between 12 and 22 June 1944 for passage to Houston Tex.; and commissioned 7 October 1944, Lieutenant Commander L. Anderson, USCGR, in command.
Emporia arrived at Argentia, Newfoundland 3 December 1944 to begin the vitally important duty of relaying weather reports from stations at sea between Newfoundland and Bermuda. Operating primarily in northern latitudes, she accumulated data essential to planning the movement of ships and aircraft throughout the Atlantic. After the close of the war, she continued this duty to aid the movement of troops home from Europe.
On 22 August 1946, Emporia arrived at New Orleans, where on 14 March 1946 she was decommissioned, and immediately recommissioned as a ship of the U.S. Coast Guard. She was again decommissioned 28 August 1946, and sold to France 26 March 1947 for continued weather patrol service.