(BM-8: dp. 3225, 1. 225'1", b. 50', dr. 13'3", s. 13 k., cpl. 220; a. 2 i2", 4 4", 2 6-pdrs.; cl. Arkansas)
The first Nevada, a double turreted monitor, was laid down as Connecticut, 17 April 1899, by the Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, Launched 24 November 1900, sponsored by Miss Grace Boutelle; renamed Nevada, January 1901; and comm~ssioned 5 March 1903, Comdr. T. B. Howard in command.
On 2 March 1909, the monitor was renamed T`rnopah to allow Battleship Number 36 to be named Nevada. Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet's submarine force as a tender, T`rnopah operated along the east coast from Massachusetts to Key West until January 1918. Then briefly assigned to Bermuda, she was ordered to Ponta Delgada, San Miguel, Azores in February. Between then and December she tended the submarines K-1, K-2, K-S, K-6, and E-l and submarine chasers operating in the strategic area of the Azores. In December, she was towed to Lisbon, and, upon her return to the United States, decommissioned at Philadelphia. Classified BM-8 (1 July 1920), she was sold, 26 January 1922, to J. G. Hitner, Philadelphia, Pa.