East Hampton- AM-1

 

East Hampton

Former name retained.

(AM: l. l62'9"; b. 26'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 37; a. 1 3-pdr.)

East Hampton (No. 573) was built in 1913 by Cobb and Butler, Rockland, Maine; purchased by the Navy 18 April 1917; and commissioned 8 May 1917, Lieutenant John O'Brien' USNRF' in command.

Assigned to the 1st Naval District East Hampton was employed in minesweeping and patrol, ice breaking and general towing. During June-August 1918 she escorted submarine chasers to Bermuda and the Azores, then resumed duty in the 1st Naval District. In January 1919 she was fitted out as a lightship, serving in that capacity at Middle Bank and Stillwagon Bank until May. She was decommissioned 2 December 1919 and sold 14 June 1920.