Curlew- AM-69

 

Curlew III
(AM-69: dp. 670; 1. 147'10"; b. 28'8"; dr. 12'; s. 10
k.; a. 1 3")

The third Curlew (AM-69) was built in 1938 by Charleston Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Charleston, S.C., as Kittiwake; purchased by the Navy 6 August 1940; and commissioned 7 November 1940, Lieutenant (junior grade) W. T. Patrick, USNR, in command.

Clearing Boston 10 May 1941, Curlew swept mines off Staten Island, N.Y., until 4 October when she put out for Cristobal, C.Z. She served in the 16th Naval District until 10 February 1944 when she reported to Section Base, Little Creek, VA., for patrol and mine sweeping operations until the end of the war. Reclassified IX-170, 1 June 1944, she arrived at Newport 14 November 1946. Curlew was decommissioned there 5 December 1945 and transferred to the Maritime Commission 27 September 1946 for disposal.

IV

YMS-218 (q.v.) was reclassified AMS-8 and assigned the name Curlew on 17 February 1947.