(AM-8: dp. 960, 1. 187'10"; b. 36'6"; dr. 9'10"; s.
14 k.; cpl. 72; a. 2 3"; cl. Lapwing)
The second Curlew (AM-8) was launched 29 August 1918 by Staten Island Shipbuilding Co., N. Y.; sponsored by Mrs. G. C. Rhodes; and commissioned 7 January 1919, Lieutenant J. McCloy in command.
Clearing Boston 6 April 1919 Curlew arrived at Inverness, Scotland, 20 April and was fitted out for experimental minesweeping out of Kirkwall, the Orkney Islands base for operations in the North Sea minefields. She sailed for home 2 October, calling at Chatham, England; Brest, France; Lisbon, Portugal; the Azores; and Bermuda, and reaching New York 19 November. Arriving at Portsmouth Navy Yard 26 November 1919, she was placed in ordinary 16 November 1920 without a crew.
In commission from 29 December 1920 to 7 February 1921, Curlew served with the Atlantic Fleet, then returned to reserve at Portsmouth. Recommissioned 29 October 1921, she cruised to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba in the first 4 months of 1922 to give support to the ships training there, then sailed north to New London to serve as submarine tender until September. Between September and February 1923, she operated with submarines in Chesapeake Bay and off the Virginia coast.
Reassigned to the 16th Naval District, Curlew reported at Coco Solo, C.Z., 6 August 1923. Besides acting as tender for seaplanes, she carried out rescue and salvage operations from Coco Solo. On 16 December 1926 Curlew grounded on the rocks at Point Mosquito Panama. Determined efforts were made to save her, but the heavy surf pounded her to pieces. She was decommissioned 28 February 1926, after all salvageable material was removed.