(Sch: t. 360; 1. 120', a. 8 long 12-pars., 4 long 18
pdrs., 3 32-pdr. car.)
The first Ticonderoga-a merchant steamer built in 1814 at Vergennes, Vt.—was purchased by the Navy at Lake Champlain and converted to schooner rigging; and relaunched on 12 May 1814.
Ticonderoga rendered gallant service with Captain Thomas Macdonough's squadron during the Battle of Lake Champlain on 11 September 1814. Commanded by Lt. Stephen Cassin, Ticonderoga compelled sloop HMS Finch (formerly USS Growler) to surrender after riddling her with shot and forcing her aground. She also assisted in the capture of sloop HMS Chubb (formerly USS Eagle), and repelled several boarding attempts by British gunboats. Midshipman Hiram Paulding was on board Ticonderoga during the battle and used his pistol to discharge a cannon when firing matches proved defective. During the two-and one-hall hour engagement, six members of Ticonderoga's crew were killed, and six others were wounded.
After the war, Ticonderoga was laid up at Whitehall, N.Y. A decade later, she was pronounced unworthy of repair and sold at public sale on 19 July 1826.