Blockade runner, Annie Dees, was captured by Union screw gunboat Seneca off Charleston, S.C., on 20 November 1862 and was purchased by the Navy from the New York Prize Court on 9 December 1863.
Renamed Thunder, the sloop joined the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron for use as a tender. During October 1864, she operated off Wassaw Sound, Gal, and returned to Port Royal, S.C., in November for repairs. Thunder serviced blockade vessels off the Savanah River, Gal, in January and February 1866 and spent most of the remaining months of the war on duty off Tybee Island, S.C.
Thunder was sold at Port Royal on 8 August 1866 to John Smith.