USS Peacock II
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links


Other Sites
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
Multieducator Products

Peacock II SlpW

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Peacock II

(SlpW: t. 559; 1. 118'9"; b. 31'6"; dr. 15'6"; a. 8 20-pdrs.,
2 9-pdrs.)

The second Peacock was laid down at the New York Navy Yard by the government in 1828 and was completed and ready for service 1 November 1828.

Departing New York, Peacock sailed to the West Indies on her mniden voyage. From 26 September 1829 to 25 April 1831, the sloop operated with Commodore Elliott's squadron

protecting American ships and encouraging the nation's caribbean trade.

Returning to Boston 25 April 1831, Peacock departed again 8 March 1832 for the Brazil station, from which she departed somo months later with Bo~er, on a diplomatic mission to the Far East. Onboard Peacock was Hon. Edmund Roberts, who negotiated a treaty with Siam, the first formal agreement between the United States and an oriental power. The ships then proceeded to Arabia, where Roberts negotiated a treaty with the Sultan of Muscat. Returning to the United States Peacock was laid up at New York 31 May 1834.

The sloop departed New York 25 April 1835, with Enterprise, on her second voyage to the Far East. The squadron delivered the ratified treaties to Siam and Muscat, then visited various ports along the coast of Asia, in efforts to protect American commerce in these waters. Returning to the United States, Peacock was nearly wrecked on a coral reef in the mouth of the Persian Gulf, but pulled free after 61 perilous hours and sailed into Norfolk 2 November 1S37 for overhaul.

Peacock next participated in the Wilkes' Exploring Expedition, which departed Hampton Roads 18 August 1838 to explore the south Atlantic and south Pacific oceans. Sailing south until ominous ice forced her withdrawal, Peacock re~oined the expedition at Valparaiso, Chile. The sloop visited various Pacific islands and then proceeded to the Columbia River, where she struck a shoal 18 July 1841; during the night, heavy tides battered the sloop to pieces.