Lady Washington Gy

 

Lady Washington
(Gy)

The row-galley Lady Washington was built in New York in the spring of 1776 at the behest of General Washington after he transferred his forces from Boston to New York. Constructed with New York funds for the defense of the Hudson River, the galley remained active under Washington through June 1777. During the next year the New York fleet captured about a dozen prizes before the permanent British occupation of the city caused the State to abandon naval activities.