(LCI (L) -874: dp. 209; 1. 159'; b. 24'; dr. 6'; s. 14 k. ; cpl.
239; a. 5 20mm.; cl. (LCI(L)-351)
LCI(L)-874 was laid down by New Jersey Shipbuilding Corp., Barber, N.J., 7 September 1944; launched 6 October; and commissioned 13 October, Lt. (j.g.) J. 0. Harrison in command.
Following shakedown and training off the Atlantic coast, LCI(L)-874 departed Key West 25 November for the Pacific. She engaged in additional training after arriving San Diego 13 December. Departing 29 January 1945, she touched Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, and Guam before arriving Peleliu 12 April. She performed picket and patrol duty in the Palau Islands during the remaining months of World War II.
From September 1945 to February 1946, LCI(L)-874 operated between the Palau and Mariana Islands, providing mail and shuttle service among the Islands. Departing Eniwetok 4 February she arrived San Pedro, Calif., 1 month later. Sailing to Oregon in May LCI(L)-874 decommissioned there 10 July 1946 and joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet.
She was reclassified and named Kestrel (AMCU-26) 7 March 1952; then recommissioned 8 February 1954, Lt. Gurley P. Chatelain in command. After shakdown and training, she arrived San Diego 27 March for operations in the 11th Naval District. From 1954 to 1957, Kestrel operated out of San Diego on underwater mine location exercises. She was reclassified MHC-26 in February 1955. Kestrel decommissioned at San Diego 2 December 1957. She was sold to Murphy Marine Service on 28 June, 1960.