USS Independence II
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links


Other Sites
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
Multieducator Products

Independence II Slp

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Independence II

(Slp: t. 2,243; 1. 190'10"; b. 54'7"; dr. 24'4"; cpl. 780;
a. 90 32-pdrs. )

Independence, first ship of-the-line commissioned in the U.S. ~Navy, launched 22 June 1814 in the Boston Navy Yard. She immediately took on guns and was stationed with frignte Constitution to protect the approaches to Boston Harbor. Wearing the broad pennant of Commodore William Bainbridge, and under command of Captain William Crane, she led her squadron from Boston 3 July 1815 to deal with piratical acts of the Barbary Powers against American merchant commerce.

Peace had been enforced by a squndron under Decatur by the time Independence arrived in the Mediterranean. But she led an impressive show of American naval might before Barbary ports that encouraged them to keep the peace treaties concluded. Having served adequate notice of rising U.S. seapower and added to the prestige of the Navy and the Nation, Independence returned to Newport 15 November 1815. She continued to wear the pennant of Commodore Bainbridge at Boston until 29 November 1819, then was flagship of Commodore John ~Shaw until placed in ordinary in 1822.

Independence remained in ordinary at Boston until 1836 when she was razed or cut down to one covered flghting deck with poop and forecastle. She was rated down to 54 guns as her conflguration gave way to that of a very large frigate. She proved to be one of the fastest and most powerful "frigates" of the Navy.

Independence recommissioned 28 March 1837 and sailed f'rom Boston 20 May 1837 as flagship of Commodore John B. Nicholson. On board for her record passage across the Atlantic to England was the Honorable George Dallas, Minister to Russia. She arrived at Portsmouth, England, 13 June, called at Copenhagen, then proceeded into Cronstadt 29 July 1837 to receive a visit from the Emperor of Bwssia. Two days later a steamboat arrived to transport Mr. Dallas and his family to St. Petersburg.

Having received marked isocia1 courtesies from the Russian government, Independenoe departed Cronstadt 13 August 1837 for Rio de Janeiro, where she became flagship of the Brazil Squadron to guard American commeree along the eastern seaboard of South America. This duty continued into the spring of 1839 when Commodore Nicholson attempted mediation to end the war between France and Argentina. He reported 22 April 1839 that . "I volunteered, as I conceived it a duty I owed to my Country, as well as to all Neutrals, to endeavor to get peace restored that commerce should ~be allowed to take its usual course. In accordance of the feelings of humanity at least, I hope my endeavors will be approved iby the Department . . . I see no probable termination of this War and Blockade which is so inJurious to the Commerce of all Neutrals.. ."

Independence returned north to New York 30 March 1840. She was laid up in ordinary until 14 May 1842 when she became flagship of Commodore Charles Stewart in the Home ~Squadron. Basing at Boston and New York, she continued as his flagship until laid up in ordinary 3 December 1849. She recommissioned 4 August 1846 and the Nation was at war with Mexico as she departed Boston 29 August 1846 for the coast of Californla. She entered Monterey Bay 22 January 1847 and became the flagship of Commodore William B. Shubrick, commanding the Pacific Squadron.

Independence assisted in the blockade of the Mexican coast, capturing Mexican ship Correo and a launch 16 May 1847. She wax prexent to support the capture of Cuaymas 19 October and landed bluejackets and Marines to occupy Mazatlan 11 November 1847. 'She later cruised as far as Hawaii, arriving Honolulu 12 August 1848. Independenoe returned to the East Coast at Norfolk 23 May 1849 and decommissioned there 30 May.

Recommissioned 7 July 1849, Independenoe departed Norfolk 26 July under Captain Thomas A. Conover to serve as flagship of the Mediterranean Squadron under Commodore Charles W. Morgan. She was the first U.S. man-of-war to show the flag at Spesla, Italy, arriving 23 May 1850 for an enthusiastic welcome. She returned to Norfolk 25 June 1852 and was placed in ordinary at New York 3 July 1852.

Independence recommissioned 4 !September 1854 and departed New York 10 October to serve as flagship of the Pacific ,Squadron under Commodore William Mervine. She arrived Valparaiso, Chile, 2 February 1855. Her cruising grounds ranged northward to San Francisco and west to Hawaii. Proceeding from Panama Bay, she entered the Mare Island Navy Yard 2 October 1857. She served as receiving ship there until decommissioned 3 November 1912. Her name was struck from the Navy List 3 ~September 1913.

Independence did not leave the Mare Island Navy Yard until 28 November 1914. Sold to John H. Rinder, she was towed to the Union I'ron Works, San Francisco. On 5 Harch 1915 she shifted to Hunter's Point, and remained for a week. Some repairs were made and a plan formulated to use her as a restaurant for the Panama-Pacific Exposition. But this plan was not executed though a permit was granted by Exposition authofities. Pig iron and ballast were removed from her hold and valuable hard wood salvaged from her orlop deck knees. The night of 20 September 1919, Independenoe was burned on the Hunter's Point mud flats to recover her metal fittings. The sturdy veteran of the days of wooden ships and iron men had survived more than a century, 98 years of which vvere spent serving the U.S. Navy.