Tinsman DE-589



(DE-589: dp. 1,450; 1. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 13'9"; s. 23.6
k.; cpl. 221; a. 2 5", 4 40mm., 10 20mm., 2 act., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.); cl. Rudderow)

Tineman (DE-589) was laid down by the Bethlehem Hingham Shipyard, Hingham, Mass., on 21 December 1943, launched on 26 June 1944, sponsored by Mrs. James Corley, sister of Seaman Tinsman, and commissioned on 26 June 1944, Lt. William G. Grote, USNR, in command.

Following fitting out and trials, the destroyer got underway on 21 July 1944, proceeded to Bermuda on shakedown, and returned to Boston on 19 August. On 11 October, she departed Boston harbor and, the next day, joined a convoy bound, via the Panama Canal, for the South Pacific. She arrived at Seeadler harbor in the Admiralty Islands late in November and, after training exercises, headed for New Guinea. On 2 December, she reached Hollandia, but was soon at sea again escorting a convoy to Leyte.

On 14 December, while Tineman was in San Pedro Bay, a Japanese suicide plane grazed the bridge of a nearby tanker. A week later, the destroyer escort was back in New Guinea waters, anchoring in Humboldt Bay. The day after Christmas, she was on the move again, this time for waters off the Vogelkop Peninsula of New Guinea for antisubmarine patrol.

In the first days of the new year, she escorted a convoy to San Pedro Bay; then, on 6 January 1945, she departed Leyte to screen a convoy bound for Lingayen Gulf, Luzon. Japan, attempting to stop the miRhty American naval force steaming northward, unleashed swarms of kamikaze planes. On 12 January—as Tinsman escorted a slow-moving group consisting of an oiler, tugs, and tows—enemy suicide planes attacked her convoy. During the day, the American ships fought off four Japanese attackers, splashing two enemy planes. On the 13th, Tinsman's guns opened up on yet another Japanese aircraft which soon went out of control and splashed. On the 14th, Tinsman anchored in Lingayen Gulf and retired the next day toward Leyte, arr*ing in San Pedro Bay on the 18th to prepare for the landings at Nasugbu, Luson.

Tinsman departed Leyte Gulf on 27 January 1946 with Amphibious Group 8 and, on the 31st, arrived at Nasugbu Bay where troops of the 11th Airborne Division landed without serious opposition. The real threat came that night as a large number of Japanese " Q-boats" attacked the American ships. Armed with imPact bombs, these small, sinister craft swarmed out of the darkness and attempted to ambush Lough (DE-586) as she patrolled not far from Tineman. Tinsman provided illumination enabling Lough to foil the attack, sinking at least six of the enemy vessels. Tinsman departed Luzon on 2 February in a convoy bound for Mmdoro. Throughout February, she shuttled between Mangarin Bay and Nasugbu Bay on escort duty.

Early in March, she left Leyte Gulf, bound for New Guinea. After taking on stores at Hollandia, Tinsman returned to the Philippines and resumed escort duty. In mid-April, she made a voyage to the Palaus and, in July, she varied her routine of convoy duty with visits to Ulithi and Hollandia before returning to the Philippines.

Although the war ended in August, Tinaman remained in the Far East, operating mainly in the Philippines. She also made voyages to Hollandia and Tientsin before setting course for home on 29 November. Steaming via Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor, she arrived at San Pedro, Calif., on 18 December 1945.

She was later berthed at San Diego where she was placed out of commission on 11 May 1946. On 16 May 1972, her name was struck from the Navy list, and, on 14 September 1973, her hulk was sold to Levin Metals Corporation, San Jose, Calif., for scrapping.

Tinsman received two battle stars for World War II service.