(DE-537: dp. 1,350; 1. 306'; b. 36'7"; dr. 13'4"; s. 24 k.; epl. 277; a. 2 5", 10 40mrn., 10 20mm., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.); cl. John C. Butler)
Rizzi (DE-~.37) was laid down on 3 November 1943 by the Boston Navy Yard, Boston, Mass.; lalmehed on 7 December 1943; and christened by Mrs. Theresa Rizzi, mother of
Seaman First Class Rizzi at commissioning on 26 June 1945 when Lt. Comdr. E. K. Winn, USNR, assumed command.
Completing shakedown the day following the cessation of World War II hostilities, Rizzi departed Boston after availability and instead of heading for the Pacific, steamed to Norfolk for duty as training ship for student officers of the Destroyer School. Transferred in mid-November, she headed back to New England waters only to receive orders directing her to prepare for inactivation. A visit to New York followed and with the new vear, 1946, she sailed south to Green Cove Springs, Fla., and on 23 January reported to Commander, 16th (inactive) Fleet.
Decommissioned on 18 June 1946, Rizzi remained at Green Cove Springs in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet until ordered activated and assigned to the 3d Naval District as a reserve training ship in January 1951. Recommissioned on 28 March 1951, she proceeded to New York whence she conducted training cruises—weekend and 2-week cruises along the east coast and in the Caribbean, and summer cruises to Europe in 1953 and 1955 and to South American in 1954—for reservists in the New York City area. In November 1957, Rizzi again prepared for inactivation.
Decommissioned 28 February 1958, she remained in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, berthed at Philadelphia, until the spring of 1972. At that time, she was surveyed and found to be unfit for further service. Consequently, Rizzi was stricken from the Navy list 1 August 1972.