Neal A. Scott DE-769


Neal A. Scott
(DE-769: dp. 1,240; 1. 306'; b. 36'8", dr. 11'8", s. 21 k. cpl. 186, a. 3 3", 6 40mm., 8 20mm., 3 21" tt., 2 dct., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.);cl. Cannon.)

Neal A. Scott (DE-769) was laid down 1 June 1943 by the Tampa Shipbuilding Company, Tampa, Florida, launched 4 June 1944, co-sponsored by Mrs. Leigh Seott and Miss Margaret Seott, mother and sister, respectively, of Ens. Seott, and commissioned 31 July 1944 with Lt. P. D. Holden in command.

Following shakedown off Bermuda and availability at Boston, Neal A. Scott steamed to Norfolk, thence to Solomons, Md., where she conducted aeoustie tejst runs for the Naval Mine Warfare Test Station during the first two weeks of November, 1944. She then proceeded back to Norfolk whence she operated as a training ship in the lower Chesapeake Bay area until 10 December. The next day she sortied from Lynnhaven Roads in Task Force 63 to escort convoy UGS 63 to Oran, Algeria. The convoy of approximately 100 ships in 15 columns passed through the Straits of Gibraltar 27 December and arrived at Oran the 28th.

OTI 2 January 1945, DE-769 departed North Africa on her return voyage, escorting convoy GUS 63 to Hampton Roads. On the 3rd, at 1707, a large cloud of smoke was seen and an

explosion heard from the center of the first line of the convoy. Neal A. Scott immediately started a submarine search on the starboard bow of the convoy. At 1739 good sonar eontset was established and a depth charge attack begun. In the next six minutes 26 charges were dropped. Thirty seconds after the last charge detonated, the rumble of an underwater explosion, followed by the appearance of an oil slick off the escort's port quarter, was reported and sonar eontset was lost. At 1755 eontset was regained and a hedgehog attack was made. Two to four explosions were heard within the next half minute, and 8 more were heard over a minute later, but, again, contact was Contact established again at 1806, a second hedgehog run was made. This time, however, no explosions were reported and the contact was lost. Undiseouraged, the ship continued her search until relieved by British escorts at 2345. DE-769 then returned to the convoy and arrived at Norfolk without further incident 19 January.

In February, Neal A. Scott joined the Southern Forces Barrier Patrol in the North Atlantio and for the remainder of the war in Europe conducted submarine searches off the Beasts of Maine, Nova Seotia and Newfoundland. On 22 April, as she steamed in a scouting line proceeding to Argentia, a submarine eontset was made by another escort, Carter (DE-112). Sixteen minutes later at 0056, DE-769 made a hedgehog attack. Several exp;osions were reported. At 0108, Carter delivered a similar attack which was followed immediately by 2 or 3 detonations and then by an explosion. At 0118, another, and heavier, explosion was felt and heard by all hands. U-518 had been sent to the bottom of the North Atlantic.

After the surrender of Germany, 7 May, Neal A. Seott was ordered to intercept U-1228 and bring her into port. While proceeding to the surrender point, U-858 was eontseted and ordered to the surrender point. On 11 May, U-1228 was intereepted and after sending a boarding party to the submarine and taking on 28 of the U-boat's crew, including the Captain, the escort headed for Portsmouth, New Hampshire, where she turned over her prisoners and their boat to Coast Gnard oflicials 17 May.

DE-769 then steamed south to Bayonne for availability after which she proceeded to Florida. On 13 June she joiner the Carrier Qualifieation Detsehment at Jacksonville and for the next two months operated as plane guard for Guadalcanal

(CVE-60). Detsehed from the Carrier Qualification Detsehment, Neal A. Scott underwent availability at Charleston and then headed for Corpus Christi for Navy Day celebrations. She returned to Charleston 4 November, only to depart again on the 7th. From Charleston she steamed back to Jacksonville where she decommissioned 30 April 1946 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, berthed at Green Cove Springs. In 1961 the escort was transferred to the Orange, Texas, berthing area where she remained until struck from the Navy Register 1 June 1968.

Neal A. Scott received one battle star for her World War II service.