(DE-301: dp. 1,140; 1. 289'6"; b. 36.1"; dr. 8'3"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3", 4 1.1", 9 20mm., 8 dcp., 1 dcp.
(h.h.), 2 dct.; cl. Evarte)
Lake (DE-301) was laid down 22 April 1943 by Mare Island Navy Yard, Vallego, Calif., Launched 18 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Carol M. Feldman; and commissioned 6 February 1944, Lt. Comdr. A. D. Weeks, Jr., in command.
Lake sailed from San Francisco 11 April 1944 escorting to a convoy to Hawaii and arriving 20 April. She operated there until sailing 23 June to escort a convoy to the Marshall Islands. Lake sortied 6 July from Eniwetok with a hunter-killer group for antisubmarine patrols off the Marianas protecting vital shipping lanes during the conquest of Saipan and the liberation of Guam. After returning from the patrol, Lake cleared Eniwetok 10 August with Regnoldo and Donaldoon to escort Montpelier to Pearl Harbor, arriving 15 August
Lake headed toward the Marshalls shepherding two merchantmen. En route she picked up from a small raft two Japanese from nearby-Wote Island. On arriving Kwajulein 2 September, she turned the prisoners over to the Army and sailed escorting transports carrying troops to the Palaus for the invasion of Pelelieu. Reaching the Palaus 21 September, she served on escort duty in the area for the next few weeks.
In November, Lake screened the fueling group which serviced units of the fast carrier task force during the invasion of the Philippines. She remained with the group off Leyte until she headed for the Bonins 15 February for the invasion of Iwo Jima.
After Iwo Jima had been secured, Lake screened the task group that supplied TF 58 during operations against Okinawa. Throughout the campaign, she made shuttle runs to Ulithi, escorting empty oilers. On 8 August, she was ordered to escort and give antisubmarine protection to 12 oilers and one merchantman heading for a rendezvous close off Japan.
After the surrender, Lake returned to the west coast arriving San Francisco 13 October. She decommissioned at Mare Island 3 December and was sold 14 December 1946 to Puget Sound Navigation Co., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.
Lake received two battle stars for World War II service.