(Collier: dp. 6,500; 1. 367'; b. 51'; dr. 21'4"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 100; a. 4 3")
Quincy, formerly Vope~en, was built in 1909 by William Doxford and Sons, Sunderland, England for H. Vogemann acquired by NOTS 8 May 1917, and commissioned at New Orleans 2 February 1918, Lt. Comdr. John C. K. Redington USNRF, in command.
Upon the declaration of war with Germany, Voqesen was seized by Customs and Navy officials at Pensaeola, Fla. and was renamed Quiney 4 June 1917. After a refit at New Orieans she was quickly placed in service by NOTS as a collier.
During World War I Quiney made three round trip transAtlantic voyages. She sailed from Norfolk 27 February 1918 with a cargo of lumber destined for Paulliae, France, and returned to Norfolk 1 June. While at Norfolk she was fitted out to earry fuel oil. Quiney departed 21 July for Brest, France with a cargo of lumber, cement, and airplanes, and returned to Philadelphia 26 September for a short refit. On her third eastward crossing she left Galveston, Tex. 1 November bound for Genoa, Italy with a cargo of aviation material. On the return voyage, Quiney called at Gibraltar to take on a Navy cargo, and arrived at Philadelphia 25 March 1919. Quincy subsequently carried cargo between east coast ports and visited Guantanamo Bay and St. Thomas, Virgin Islands.
After the war Quiney continued to operate along the East Coast. She was designated AK-10 on 17 July 1920. From August 1920 until May 1921 she was laid lln at Norfolk. Quiney got underway 13 May for Gibraltar and Brest. Upon her return to the U.S. she remained on the east enast a short time and then sailed to the California coast via the Panama Canal makblg various ealls enroute to take on and di.seharge cargo. Quincy arrived at Mare Island Navy Yard, Calif. 3 November 1921 and visited Hawaii in January-February lD22. She returned to Philadelphia 11 April.
Quincy decommissioned at Philadelphia 5 June 1922 and was sold 25 September 1922 to the Navigation Steamship Co.