Former name retained.
(SwStr: t. 230; 1. 150'; b. 23'; dph. 8'6"; s. 8 k.; cpl. 39;
a. 2 24-pdr. how.)
The first Ella, a side wheel steamer, was purchased at New York 30 July 1862; outfitted at New York Navy Yard, and commissioned 10 August 1862, Acting Master S. C. Gray in command.
Ella sailed 12 August 1862 for duty with the Potomac Flotilla, and arrived at Fortress Monroe 2 days later. She performed her entire service in Virginia waters as a picket, patrol and dispatch boat, based on the navy yard at Washington, D.C. After a useful career, she returned to her base for the last time 30 July 1865. She was decommissioned there 4 August and sold 16 September 1865.
The second Ella was renamed Philippi 9q.v.) on 27 February 1864, 4 days after her purchase by the Navy.
The third Ella (NO. 1676), motorboat, was acquired by the Navy on 8 October 1917. She never saw active service, returning to her owner on 29 October 1917.