Champion

 

Champion II
(SwStr: t. 116; 1. 146'8"; b. 2fi'5"; dr. 3'6"; s. 4 k.; a. 2
30-pars. r., 1 24-par. sb., 1 12-par. sb.)

Champion, an armed river steamer, was built in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1869 as Champion No. 4; purchased there 14 March 1863, fitted out at Cairo, III., and commissioned 26 April 1863, Acting Master Alfred Phelps, Jr., in command.

Operating almost continuously from 27 April 1863 to 9 June 1865, Champion patrolled the Mississippi, Tennessee, and Red Rivers. She transported troops, prisoners, supplies, and cotton, towed and convoyed ships, and delivered dispatches. Her yeoman service ended at Mound City, III., where she was decommissioned 1 July 1866. Champion was sold 29 November 1866.