(Fr: T. 1708, 1. 175', b. 45' dr. 22'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 4¢7; a. 44 guns; cf. Potomac)
The frigate Susquehanna was renamed Brandywine prior to her launching by Washington Navy Yard, with President John Quincy Adams on board, 16 June 1825. She was christened by Sailing Master Marmaduke Dove.
Lieutenant F. H. Gregory commanded Brandywine from 1 July to 1 September while she was being prepared for sea, siter which Commodore Charles Morris, at that time one of the Navy Commissioners, took command. On 8 September 1825 she sailed from Washington Navy Yard, with the Marquis de Lafayette on board, returning to France after a visit to the United States. She Joined the Mediterranean Squadron in November. From 1826 to 1851 the vessel made three cruises in the Mediterranean; two in the Pacific as flagship; one to the Gulf of Mexico, East Indies, and Brazil. She was in ordinary at New york Navy Yard, 1851-60.
In 1861 Brandywine was returned to service and converted to a storeship and took station in Hampton Roads Va. She was recommissioned 27 October 18¢1. On 9 March 1862 she was towed up the Bay to Baltimore by Mount Vernon. She was towed back to Hampton Roads it June 1862 for service as a store and receiving ship for the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. She then moved to Norfolk where she was destroyed by fire 3 September 1864.