Kinzer APD-91



Born in Rock, W. Va., 22 August 1917, Edward Blaine Kinzer enlisted in the Naval Reserve 26 February 1941. He was appointed Aviation Cadet 3 April and commissioned Ensign 20 October. On 12 November 1941 he was assigned to Scouting Squadron 5 on board Yorktown (CV-5). He was awarded the Navy Cross posthumously for extraordinary heroism and extreme disregard of his own personal safety during the Battle of Coral Sea. This aggressive and skillful pilot contributed materially to the sinking or damaging of eight enemy vessels in Tulagi Harbor 4 May and the sinking of Japanese aircraft carrier Shoho. On 8 May while on antitorpedo plane control, he died while fiercely engaging "the continued attack of enemy bombing and torpedo planes and their fighter support."

(APD-91: dp. 1,650; 1. 306'; b. 37', dr. 12'7"; s. 23.6 k.; cpl. 204; a. 2 5", 2 40mm., 10 20mm., 3 dct., 9 dcp.; el. Edsall)

Kinzer (APD-91) was launched as DE-232 9 December 1943 by Charleston Navy Yard Charleston, S.C.; sponsored by Mrs. Charles E. Kinzer, mother of Ens. Kinzer; reclassified APD-91, 17 July 1944, converted to a high speed transport; and commissioned 1 November 1944, Lt. Richard C. Young, USNR, in command.

Kinzer departed Norfolk, Va., 1 January 1945, transitted the Panama Canal and docked at San Diego, Calif., 16 January. Two days later she sailed for Pearl Harbor via San Francisco, arriving 29 January. At Pearl Harbor Kinzer embarked marines of the Reconnaissance Battalion, Fleet Marine Force, and sailed 12 February for the Pacific war zone. She arrived at Okinawa Gunto for her preinvasion mission 26 March escorting LST's to their landings on Kerama Retto. When night came Kinzer landed marines on the various small islands surrounding Okinawa to gather data on terrain and enemy activity. Later, large guns set up on these bits of land aided the initial assault of Okinawa itself. Kinzer in company with Scribner (APD-122) continued this pattern while dodging enemy suicide planes during patrols and antisubmarinescreen duty until she sailed 15 July 1945 with a convoy headed for Guam. There she picked up Sargent Bay (CVE-83) escorted it to Pearl Harbor and continued on to the West Coast, arriving San Pedro, Calif., 9 August.

Completing overhaul, Kinzer sailed from San Pedro 6 September 1945, disembarked passengers at Pearl Harbor, Guam, and Ulithi, arriving at Manila 13 October. Ten days later she sailed for Haiphong, Indochina, where she embarked Chinese troops for transfer to Northern China. From 7 November to 22 April 1946, Kinzer redeployed Chinese troops in Northern China and called on ports of Chinwangtao, Tsingtao, and Taku, China; Hulutao, Manchuria; and Jinsen, Korea. During this time, she served as flagship for Commander, LST Flotilla 15.

Kinzer cleared Tsingtao 25 April 1946 for the United States. calling at Guam and Pearl Harbor en route, arriving San Pedro 17 May.

Kinzer decommissioned. 18 December 1946, entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet at San Diego, and later was moved to San Francisco. Kinzer was struck from the Navy List 1 March 1965; and on 21 April 1965 sold to Nationalist China under the Military Assistance Program.

Kinzer received one battle star for her service in World War II and the China Service Medal.