(APA-164: dp. 6,720; 1. 466'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 18 k.;
cpl. 692; a. 1 6"; cl. Haskell)
The second Edgecombe (APA 164) was launched 24 September 1944 by Oregon Shipbuilding Corp., Portland, Oreg, under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. Esther S. Wilson, and commissioned 30 October 1944, Commander F. W. Wauchope, USNR, in command.
Edgecombe began transport duty along with her shakedown when she carried the 68th CB's from Seattle to San Francisco in November 1944. After training at San Pedro she sailed the last day of 1944 from San Francisco with cargo for Finschhafen. She joined a convoy at Hollandia and arrived at Leyte 6 February 1945 to land reinforcements.
After intensive training with the 6th Amphibious Force, Edgecombe sailed 27 March 1946 for Okinawa. She landed her troops in the initial assault 1 April and remained off the beach 6 feverish days unloading cargo and embarking casualties for evacuation to Saipan. She sailed on to Pearl Harbor and reached Han Francisco in May.
Assigned to carry troops from the west coast to the Philippines, Edgecombe was on the second such voyage when the war ended. In September she transported occupation troops from Leyte to Aomori, Honshu. Returning to the west coast, Edgecombe was assigned "Magic Carpet" duty, and twice went to the western Pacific to bring home servicemen eligible for discharge. On 11 February 1946 she got underway from Portland Oreg., for Norfolk which she reached 16 March. There she was placed out of commission in reserve 31 January
1947. Edgecombe was returned to the Maritime Commission 1 October 1968.
Edgecombe received one battle star for World War II service.