Tipton AKA-215

 


Tipton
(AKA-215: dp. 7,125; 1. 338'6"; b. 50'0"; dr. 21'1"; C1 1M.5AkVl(tl.); cpl. 85; a. 1 3"; cl. Alamosa; T.

Tipton (AKA-215) was laid down under Maritime Commission Contract (MC hull 2169) on 28 December 1944 at Sturgeon Bay, Wis., by the Leathem D. Smith Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 13 March 1945, sponsored by Mrs. W. F. Maister; transferred to the Navy Department on 7 September 1945; and commissioned on
9 October 1945, Lt. Comdr. H. E. Gray, USCGR, in command.

Upon commissioning, the cargo ship was transferred to the custody of the Coast Guard for maintenance and operation and was manned by a Coast Guard crew. Tipton was decommissioned and permanently transferred to the Coast Guard on 4 March 1946. She was struck from the Navy list on 20 March 1946.