USS Richland II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Richland II YFD-64

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Richland II

(YFD-64: dp. 8,000, 1. 622'; b. 124'; dr. 6'; a. 2 40mm.,4 20mm.)

The second Richland (AFDM-8) was built by the Chicago Building & Iron Co., Eureka, Calif., and commissioned as YFD - 4 on 28 November 1944.

DryDock YFD - 4 remained on the west coast until 15 December 1944 when she was towed to Pearl Harbor. On 25 January 1945 she was towed into Eniwetok and then on to Ulithi. She was next towed to San Pedro Bay where she worked until November when she was towed to Guam. Elhe decommissioned there on 8 June 1946.

YFD - 4 was redesignated AFDM-8 on 1 August 1946 placed in service 1 January 1947, and remained at Guam into 1949. Since then she has spent her entire career in the Pacific.

From 1964 and continuing into 1974, she has been utilized extensively in support of Fleet Ballistic Missile submarines in the western Pacific. She was named Richland 6 April 1968.