USS Iolite

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Iolite PYc-41

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Iolite

(PYc-41:t.200;1.154';b.20;7'6";s.10k.)

Iolite (PYc-41), a yacht, was built in 1914 as Florence D by Geo. Lawley & Son, Neponset, Mass. She was purchased by the Navy 4 September 1942 from Julian F. Detmer, of Tarrytown, N.Y., converted to Navy use and commissioned 9 November 1942, Ens. C. J. Symington in command.

Iolite sailed from New York via Norfolk and Miami 15 December 1942 and arrived Key West 22 January 1943 for duty at the Sound school. The converted yacht carried out training operations in the Straits of Florida, testing underwater sound equipment and monitoring techniques vital to submarine and antisubmarine warfare. She was detached from this duty in May 1944 and sailed for New York 28 May. Arriving Tomkinsville, N.Y., 14 June, the ship was placed in service 17 June for use as a training ship for reserve officers. She was badly damaged by explosion 26 Aug~ust 1944 and placed out of service 2 October 1944. Stricken from the Navy List 14 October Iolite was transferred to the Maritime Commission in 1945 and sold