USS Carnelian

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Carnelian

Carnelian

A semiprecious stone.

(PY-19: dp. 500; 1. 190'11"; b. 26'; dr. 11'; s. 12 k.;
cpl. 59; a. 1 3")

Carnelian(PY-l9)The yacht built by BIW for Ross W. Judson, Founder & President of Continental Motors Co. actually was launched as TRUDIONE 18 October 1930. That December, she was renamed SEVENTEEN, which is the name under which the Navy acquired her in 1941. She was purchased by the Navy 13 May 1941; and commissioned 7 June 1941, Lieutenant Commander G. L. Hoffman, USNR, in command.

Carnelian arrived at Jacksonville, Fla., 23 February 1942 for patrol duty in the Caribbean. Later based on New Orleans for duty escorting convoys to Galveston and Key West, Carnelian provided essential services to the Gulf Sea Frontier in its great task of guarding a wide area with minimal forces. From November 1942 through January 1944, the converted yacht screened convoys, composed primarily of tankers with precious cargoes of oil, between Trinidad and Recife, Brazil

After overhaul, Carnelian joined the antisubmarine training group based at Norfolk, VA., with whom she served until 25 January 1945. Assigned then to the Potomac River Naval Command, she was based at the Mine Warfare Test Station, Solomons, Md., for mine test operations in Chesapeake Bay. Carnelian was decommissioned 4 January 1946 and transferred to the Maritime Commission 24 October 1946.