USS Amethyst-PYC-3

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

 

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
  US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Amethyst

Amethyst

A clear purple or bluish-violet variety of quartz, considered by jewelers a semiprecious gem.

(PYc-3: t. 350; 1. 146'9"; b. 23'6"; dph. 12'11"; dr. 11'; s. 14 k.; cpl. 46; a. 13", 2 dct.)

Amethyst (PYc-3), formerly named Samona II, was a yacht built in 1931 by Craig Shipbuilding Co., Long Beach, Calif.; Aand purchased by the Navy on 4 November 1940 from the estate of
illitts J. Hole, a prominent financier of Los Angeles, Calif.; converted for naval service by Craig Shipbuilding Co.; and commissioned on 27 February 1941, Lt. H. Reich in command.

The ship was assigned to the Inshore Patrol, 11th Naval District, and helped to patrol the entrance to Los Angeles harbor. After the United States entered the war, the yacht expanded her role to include escorting vessels and convoys as well as carrying local passenger traffic.

On 1 April 1943, Amethyst was attached to the Surface Task Group, Southern Section, San Pedro, Calif., and continued her patrol duties off the southern California coast through January 1944. She was decommissioned on 2 February 1944.

Placed back in commission on 19 April 1944 and manned by a Coast Guard crew, Amethyst reported to the Western Sea Frontier section base at Treasure Island, Calif. Through the end of 1945, the ship maintained planeguard station, collected weather data, and carried out antisubmarine and antiaircraft coastal patrols.

Amethyst was finally decommissioned at San Diego, Calif., on 27 February 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 12 March. She was transferred on 11 September to the Maritime Commission for disposal. She was subsequently sold to Samuel K. Rindge of Los Angeles and resumed the name Samona II and served as a yacht. Purchased in the early 1950's by David P. Hamilton of Shreveport, La., she served him under the name Pudlo until sold in 1962 to Clarene Y. Martin of Houston, Tex., and renamed Explorer.