USS Tillamook II

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Tillamook II SP-269

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Tillamook II

(SP-269: t. 24 (gross); 1. 59'0"; b. 12'6", dr. 4'9";
s. 9.5 k.; cpl. 9; a. 1 3-pdr., 2 mg.)

The second Tillamook-a motor yacht built in 1911 at Port Clinton, Ohio, by the Matthews Boat Co.—was acquired by the Navy from Mr. D. C. Whitney of Detroit, Mich., on 14 May 1917 and was placed in commission on 1 June 1917 as SP-269.

Assigned to the 9th Naval District, SP-269 patrolled the waters of Lake Michigan without the benefit of her name to avoid confusion with Tug No. 16 which was also named Tillamook. She remained active in the 9th Naval District until the fall of 1919. Often official papers referred to her as Tillamook (SP-269), particularly those regarding her disposal. SP 269 was sold to Mr. George Jerome of Detroit, Mich., on 20 November 1919.
hjk