USS Santa Malta

Navyhistory.com
ABOUT US
History of Ships and Navies
Contact US
Navy Links

Ê

Other Sites
HistoryShopping.com
Navalshopping.com
Historycentral.com
America's Wars
Revolutionary War
War of 1812
Civil War
World War II
Ê US Aircraft of WW2
Vietnam War
Presidential Elections
NationbyNation.com
Multieducator Products

Santa Malta SP-3125

Mug Windbreaker
Plaque Cap
Polo Shirt Sweatshirt
Santa Malta

Santa Malta (SP-3125-a) retained her merchant name in United States Naval service.

(SP-3125-a: t. 6,270; 1. 420'6"; b. 53'9"; dr. 26'2"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 177)

Santa Malta (SP-3125-a), a single-screw, steel freighter was built during 1918 by William Cramp and Sons, Philadelphia, Pa., for the Atlantic and Pacific Steamship Co. of New York, ordered on 12 July 1918 to be delivered to the United States Shipping Board upon completion; transferred to the Navy; and commissioned on 17 May 1919 at Philadelphia, Lt. Comdr. John J. Coholan, USNRF, in command.

Operated under the War Department account, Santa Malta was assigned to the Cruiser and Transport Force, Atlantic Fleet, returning American troops home from Europe Departing Philadelphia on 22 May 1919, she made three round-trip voyages from New York and Philadelphia to Brest and Bordeaux, France, before 29 August. Remaining under War Department account.

Santa Malta departed from New York on 10 September 1919 for Colon, Panama, with a cargo of Army pontoon bridge sections and miscellaneous supplies. Santa Malta called at New Orleans, La., before reaching Panama on 1 October. Departing Colon on 6 October, she steamed northward to New York for drydocking and overhaul.

Santa Malta was detached from the Cruiser and Transport Force on 14 October 1919 and transferred to the Commandant, 3d Naval District. Santa Malta was decommissioned on 6 November 1919 at Todd Shipbuilding Corp., Brooklyn, and simultaneously returned to the Shipping Board for eventual return to her owner. Renamed Hawaiian in 192.', she was transferred to Panamanian registry in 1948 as Fortune before being scrapped during 1958.